Project Details - Ongoing
- Contract Number:290-16-00001U
- AHRQ Funded Amount:$2,298,482
- Project Dates:9/12/2016 to 9/11/2019
- Care Setting:
- Health Care Theme:
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 directs the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to disseminate and build capacity for patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR). AHRQ has a specific requirement to incorporate PCOR findings into clinical practice with clinical decision support (CDS) systems. In addition, AHRQ is required to establish a process to collect feedback about the value of the PCOR information and CDS system from stakeholders including providers, patients, and CDS vendors.
AHRQ has contracted with the CMS Alliance to Modernize Healthcare, a Federally-Funded Research and Development Center operated by The MITRE Corporation, to generate a systematic and replicable process for transforming evidence-based research findings, such as PCOR, into shareable CDS resources through a publicly available, prototype CDS repository. The team will also develop, implement, and integrate CDS products and systems using integrated data and knowledge management. This project will demonstrate proof-of-concept for incorporating evidence-based research findings into CDS systems in order to advance research evidence into clinical practice.
The specific aims of this project are as follows:
- Engage stakeholders to catalyze the development and use of CDS throughout the healthcare system.
- Provide CDS developers and stakeholders with constructive advice and feedback.
- Develop and test resources for CDS implementation, including coded clinical knowledge and implementation guides.
- Develop a publicly accessible repository of CDS resources to facilitate sharing among stakeholders.
The overall goal of this project is to improve the quality of CDS design, accelerate CDS development, ensure open access to CDS resources, and enable integrated software systems for CDS systems. For more information, please go to https://cds.ahrq.gov; for access to artifacts from the project, please go to https://cds.ahrq.gov/cdsconnect/artifact.